Sunday, September 20, 2009

Beams for Substructure Support







I used a double 2X10 nailed together with 16d nails to create the beams that the deck would sit on, then attached the beam to the tops of the 4X4 posts that are cut to elevation using 16d nails and 4X4 to 2X10 metal plates. Using 2x10's for the floor joists means I can span a longer range from my ledger board on the house to my beams that will support them at the far edge of the deck. I placed my foundations and beams so that I would never span more than 10 feet without being supported by a beam. Its a little over kill for that specific wood, it can span up to 16 feet in between beam supports but its always been my pet peeve to build things stronger than they call for in the specs. An easy tool to use to calculate the span that the joists you are using can span is a free online calculator .http://www.decks.com/Calculators/JoistSpan.aspx.

4 comments:

  1. Your projects here are great. I'm a bit of a construction nut myself, having worked in the industry for a while. And thanks for following my blog. Feels nice to have a celebrity follower. Yes, I have seen you on Trading Spaces. Keep up the good work.

    JW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I happened apon your blog because I saw you were following my blog. I love construction and wood work. I like to do little home projects. Your advice and blog is very easy to read and I enjoy the helpful tips.

    I hope you stop by my blog and a leave a comment.I would love to get your opinion on my writing.

    Thanks,
    Lucia http://warriormomwife25.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad that i saw you're following my blog thanks man

    Im going into carpanrty in janruary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness - I miss Juneau and some peeps there oh, so much! I'm so happy to hear that something so fun has happened to someone from that part of the woods - good for you!

    ReplyDelete